No matter what your gender is, like face we care for our lips. Lips are the vital body part which are exposed to everything like hot, cold, sun, dust & oil, pollution etc. We remove oil, dust, pollutants particles from skin by applying scrubber & other beauty products but the same products we cannot apply to our lips as lips are very sensitive . The dust & oil particle is one of the reason for dark lips.
We should take good care of lips, in this article we will discuss about the causes of dark lips and the remedies we can apply to lighten such dark lips.
What are the reasons for dark lips?
The reasons for dark lips are listed below:
1.Sun publicity : Excessive exposure to sun will create melanin which will reasons the pores and skin to tan.
2.Smoking : The nicotine and tar available in smoke will shrink your blood vessels which reduces blood flow and will result in dark lips.
3.Excessive biting & licking of lips : This habit always causes saliva to be saturated on lips and dried them out. This will turn them even darker.
4.Applying lipstick/coloured lip balm 24*7 : The chemical will suck moisture out of them, exactly opposite of what a lip balm is supposed to do.
5. Applying lemons to my lips : The skin of our lips is very sensitive, and the acid in lemon will harm skin more.
6.Some other common reasons : consuming excess caffeine, dehydration (not drinking enough water) and Genetics.
What is treatment for pigmented lips or dark lips?
You should follow below routine to protect your lips from getting chapped and dry:
- Drink 3-5 litres of water which will make your lips glossy,
- Use lip balms with SPF-30 at least as lips are more exposed to sun, wearing SPF will protect lips from ultra violet rays,
- Always wipe your lips after having oily food with tissue paper, don’t be too harsh on your lips while cleaning.
To remove darkness of lips you can follow any of the below method:
- Take one baby brush,
- Take 1 tsp of honey, ½ tsp of sugar and 1 tsp of coconut oil,
- Mix all 3 ingredients,
- Dip your brush into the mixture,
- Now gently massage on your lips with brush for at least 2-3 minutes,
- Keep this mixture on your lips for 1-2 minutes,
- Now wash it off with normal hot water,
- Apply lip balm on your lips to give them moisture.
- Take one beat root and grind it,
- Take 1 tsp of beat root juice, 3-4 mint leaves and 1 tsp of turmeric,
- Mix all 3 ingredients,
- Now gently apply the mixture on your lips for at least 2-3 minutes,
- Keep it for 1-2 minutes and then wash it off.
- Finally, apply lip balm on your lips to give them moisture.
Honey sugar lip scrub for dry and chapped lips
- ½ tsp of honey, 1 tsp of sugar
- Mix it well
- Apply this scrub on your lips,
- Scrub it gently for few minutes and rinse off.
Turmeric lip mask for dark lips
- 1 tsp of plain yogurt,
- Few drops of honey and Pinch of turmeric,
- Mix it well,
- Apply this lip mask on your lips,
- Let it sit for 5 minutes and rinse off with water.
Apply hydrating lip mask for soft lips
- Few drops of honey,
- 1 tsp of Aloe Vera gel,
- Mix it well,
- Apply this hydrating lip mask on your lips.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Are home remedies mentioned above helpful?
The home remedies we have mentioned above are natural and helpful in clearing dark pigmentation of lips. Some of their benefits are:
- Aloe Vera hydrates and nourishes lips to make them soft and smooth,
- Honey can help moisturize your lips and protect cracked lips from infection. It works as a mild exfoliator and help remove dry, dead skin from your lips,
- Sugar helps in making scrub and you can apply it on your lips to exfoliate the dead skin cells,
- Turmeric is a well-known ingredient that helps in treating pigmentation. Turmeric has tetrahydrocurcumin which is the main ingredient in clearing dark spots.
Q2. Which lip balm is most effective?
You can use any lip balm on your lips but if you are more exposed to sun use a lip balm which will protect your lips from ultra violet rays.
You may read: Top 8 Best Lip Balm available in market
Q3. Do we need to protect Lips from the Sun?
Yes, it is important to protect lips from sun as lips have little melanin, which will support the sun’s harmful rays which will tan lips. Lip balm with SPF-30 will protect lips from sun’s harmful UV rays.
Q4. Do we need to protect lips inside house?
Yes, we should protect our lips in house as well. In house if we have hot weather our skin gets dehydrate which can cause lips to crack and chapped. While in cold weather, lips do not get the oil which moisturises lips, this will dry our lips and become chapped. So, in house as well we should care of lips.